Sunday

Snow Goose (Anser caerulescens)

 {Click on an image to enlarge, then use the back button to return to this page}
This page last updated on 02/18/2018
(Fig. 01)


Picture Notes: On 02/06/2011 I made a follow-up visit to Floyd Lamb Park as I felt my stop there last week with the senior group was much too short. In a little over an hour I snapped 375 pictures. About half were of the peacocks, and the other half were of water fowl, mallards, snow geese, Canada geese, etc. After nearly two hours of reviewing when I got home, I whittled this number down to around 150 and I’m still having a hard time reducing this number down to just a few really good ones. Of the more than 150 pictures that I ended up with, I think these shots of the Snow Geese were among my favorites. It was shot on the shore of Tule Springs Lake, the largest of the four lakes at Floyd Lamb Park.

Snow Goose Description: The Snow Goose (Figs. 01 & 02), also known as the Blue Goose, is a North American species of goose. Its name derives from the typically white plumage. This goose breeds north of the timberline in Greenland, Canada, Alaska, and the northeastern tip of Siberia, and winters in warm parts of North America from southwestern British Columbia through parts of the United States to Mexico. Outside of the nesting season, they usually feed in flocks. In winter, snow geese feed on left-over grain in fields. They migrate in large flocks, often visiting traditional stopover habitats in spectacular numbers. Snow geese often travel and feed alongside white-fronted geese; in contrast, the two tend to avoid travelling and feeding alongside Canada grey geese, who are often heavier birds.

(Fig. 02)
x