Tuesday

Yellow Plug Site (Summary Page)

  {Click on an image to enlarge, then use the back button to return to this page}
This page last updated on 10/11/2017

Introduction: As I began to discover more and more rock art sites during my hikes over these past several years, I have become witness to far too many examples of where persons had seemed fit to deface them with graffiti and other examples of damage. Eventually I realized that the sharing of my hiking adventures could have the potential to increase public exposure, and thereby increasing the possibility for even more damage. As a result, I decided to preface each of my rock art pages with the following information to help educate visitors about the importance of these fragile cultural resources. Before scrolling down, I implore you to READ the following ... as well as the linked page providing guidelines for preserving rock art.


Here are a few simple guidelines you can follow that will help to preserve these unique and fragile cultural resources that are part of our heritage. Guidelines for Preserving Rock Art. If you would like to learn more about the Nevada Site Stewardship Program, go to my page ... Nevada Site Stewardship Program (NSSP).
    

03/18/2016 Trip Notes: Today's trip was my second visit to this site. So far, I have been unable to find any information about this location on the Internet. I initially learned about the location of this site, called "Yellow Plug", during a conversation with a local resident while having lunch in the Pioneer Saloon in Goodsprings. The full panel of glyphs run about 40 feet in length. At its northern end, there is a shady crevice in the rock that even contains some well aged pictographs. Starting from its southern most point, the pictures below (Figs. 04 thru 15) were taken from left to right towards its most northern point. Along the bottom edge of the panels, you will encounter grass, several colorful plants, cactus and a few dying trees (Figs.04).
                       
(Fig. 01)
(Fig. 02)
(Fig. 03)
(Fig. 04)
(Fig. 05)
Could the symbol near the center be that of a human or a lizard
(Fig. 06)
I have read in the past that these types of symbols could be shields representing a tribe

(Fig. 07)
(Fig. 08)
(Fig. 09)
(Fig. 10)
Is the symbol on the middle right representative of a bighorn sheep or antler
(Fig. 11)
Could the pictograph symbols in the upper left be three people?
(Fig. 12)
(Fig. 13)
This could be another symbol to denote a tribes' 'war shield' 

(Fig. 14)
In the center there is another possible human or lizard symbol
(Fig. 15)