Saturday

Daytrips – Carrara Nevada, Fluorspar Canyon & Sloan Canyon Petroglyphs

EP-P1050270I made two hikes this past week. On Monday, my friend Harvey Smith and I explored the eastern side of the Bare Mountains, just south of Beatty Nevada. Before getting to Beatty, we stopped at the ghost town of Carrara, the site of an old marble quarry. Click here to read about this town … Ghost Town of Carrara. We hope to explore this area more on a future trip. Our main goal was to locate the Great Beatty Mudmound, a 480-million-year-old fossil site. Climbing to the top of this was more than we expected. In addition to hiking the mudmound, we explored several of the areas’ mines, spotted seven burros and six bighorn sheep. One could spend days trying to explore all that this area has to offer. Click the following link to read about this hike … Fluorspar Canyon & Bare Mountain Mines. On Thursday I went to Sloan Canyon with the rockhounds from the Henderson Senior Facility. Here is the update I made to my page on Sloan Canyon … Sloan Canyon Petroglyph Site.