Friday

Spotlight on Harvey Smith


EFP-P1010739
(Fig. 01)

Over the past several months, I have failed to keep up with a project that I started last year to begin spotlighting some of the people that I have the opportunity to hike with on a regular basis. As I started to get back into this project, I began to realize that I would be extremely remiss if I didn’t take the time to highlight my good friend and hiking partner, Harvey Smith (Fig. 01). Due to his generosity in sharing the use of his four wheel drive truck, off road vehicles and camping trailer, we have taken several camping trips (Fig. 02) and dozens of daytrip hiking excursions that I would otherwise never have had the opportunity to experience. We have climbed several 7,000 foot mountains, roamed numerous desert ghost towns, explored dozens of old abandoned mine shafts and hiked more than a half dozen state parks and national wildlife areas. We have uncovered several “rusty” treasures, rocks with embedded fossils, rock art left by ancient cultures, and have been privy to some of the area’s most unique geology and absolutely gorgeous views. All of which has allow me to capture hundreds of wonderful pictures, many of which I get to share with you. The collage below (Fig. 03) covers only a handful of the places we have visited and hiked in the past year. He makes it easy; I do the research on places to visit and how to get their, he does the driving. All I can say it that it has been a pleasure Harvey, and I look forward to many more adventures in the coming year.
  
EFP-P1000277
(Fig. 02) Mt. Charleston Campgoung
Harvey Smith Collage 01
(Fig. 03) Click to Enlarge